Monday, October 29, 2012

Hurricane Sandy


This Hurricane has been predicted to be terrible so preparing is essential.  Having adequate water, food, and first aid supplies is critical.   Yesterday I started preparing food in the event of a power outage. So far I made a lentil and vegetable soup, pasta salad, spinach dip, and a carrot cake.  I just want to make sure I have food that could be eaten without a lot of fuss.  If we lose power I can heat up the soup in a chafing dish with sterno.  I almost forgot to mention that I made peanut butter in the blender and 2 loves of honey oatmeal bread.


I made this in a pressure cooker so it was done in 30 minutes.  I sautéed  onion, celery, garlic and tomato in olive oil then added the dried lentils (washed and picked through),  and vegetable stock.  When the beans are tender add butternut squash, zucchini, potato and carrot.

Since I love to bake and all of the stores in this area were out of bread I just made 2 loves of this bread.  This recipe is from the Kitchen Aid mixer cookbook.

Simple pasta salad with a remoulade dressing green peas, carrots, red bell pepper capers, and dry seasoning

Classic carrot cake

A bag of peanuts in the blender = peanut butter



The storm is getting stronger now  and rain fall is steady


Squinting in the rain. After he handled his business he was running in the rain to get back to the house

No comments:

Post a Comment